Monday 22 March 2010

Thames in Central London 21st March

Not so much a trip to see ships as seeing some ships while taking my son on a boys day out around the capital.  We normally stick to the tube but I fancied trying a Thames Clipper service and we opted to hop on at Embankment.  Our vessel was the Typhoon Clipper and I was very surprised at how good a vessel she seemed on first impressions.  Very comfortable on board with a decent rear platform
for photographing passing vessels, although there is a low roof which restricts photos to the rear.  As usual the river was busy and as the tide was at low water space was a little restricted as we backed away from the piers at the Eye, Millennium and Tate Modern.

I struggled to get too many decent photos what with the number of fellow tourists and keeping my other eye on my 3 year old.  But amongst the spots was the Skate IIE work platform, fitted with a substantial outboard and transmitting AIS so a vessel as far as I was concerned!
Plenty of authorities buzzing around as usual but very difficult to get an isolated shot of any one vessel.  I did manage to get the Police Launch John Harriot IV going against the tide with a couple of very bored officers at the helm.

As we left Tower Bridge I was pleasantly surprised at the acceleration and speed of the Typhoon Clipper as we headed eastwards.  The website of the operator lists the top speed of that particular craft as 28 knots and it certainly felt like it, especially with the tide out and the river banks close by.  I would recommend a trip for those who have never been along the river and at £5.30 for Embankment to Greenwich via the Eye, its not bad value either although I am guessing getting a prime spot for photos may be tricky in the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment